*Offer valid for new patients.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are soft, gel-like substances that are injected under the skin. They can address a number of common concerns including smoothing of deep under-eye circles, lifting of cheekbones, volumization of the lips, smoothing of lip lines and nasolabilal folds (the creases that run from the side of the nose to the corners of the mouth), and rejuvenation of the hands.
Dermal fillers can be composed of a variety of substances, some naturally occurring and some synthetic. One of the most common compounds used in dermal fillers is hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is a naturally occurring substance found in our skin, and it plays a major role in keeping skin hydrated and volumized. HA fillers, depending on their specific chemical makeup, can last from six months to much longer before being gradually absorbed by the body.
One of the main benefits of HA fillers, aside from their natural appearance when injected, is that they can be dissolved by a special solution in case of an adverse event, or if the person dislikes the appearance. Also, most HA fillers are premixed with lidocaine, a numbing agent, to maximize comfort during treatment.
Top Dermal Filler Treatment Areas
- Enhance or restore volume loss in cheeks
- Tear troughs (under eyes)
- Nasalabial folds (smile lines)
- Jawline definition/lift jowls
- Lip enhancement
Dermal fillers are designed to be injected beneath the surface of the skin to add volume and fullness to volume loss in the face or to enhance one’s features. Injectable fillers are most commonly used to plump lips, add volume to cheeks, smooth wrinkles and folds, and fill in the under-eye hollows known as tear troughs. Our highly trained master injectors happily offer complimentary consultations to assess your individual concerns and tailor a treatment plan specific to your needs!
The four major structural components of our face are skin, fat, muscle, and bone. As we age, volume loss in these structures contributes to many of the visible signs of aging.
The natural ageing process causes significant bone loss in the face which leads to loss of high cheek bones, and retraction of the jawline. The facial muscles also decrease in volume and elasticity, and deflation and movement of facial fat further accentuates the signs of aging. Finally, the skin stretches and loses elasticity — compounded by the loss of scaffolding provided by fat, muscle, and bone, this leads to wrinkles, sagging skin, and other familiar signs of aging.
Dermal fillers, a non invasive treatment performed by a highly skilled injectable practitioner can help smooth lines and replenish lost volume, restoring a more youthful appearance.
Benefits of Dermal Filler
- Makes skin looks smooth, natural & youthful
- Volumizes facial wrinkles & folds
- Promotes hydration, restores volume
- Results last up to 12-24 months
- Results are seen immediately
- Minimal to no downtime
Dermal Filler Pre Treatment Guidelines:
In order to minimize the chances of swelling and bruising post treatment we recommend avoiding the following for 24 – 48 hours:
- Over the counter anti inflammatory or blood thinning medications or supplements i.e. Advil, Aleeve, Motrin, Naproxen (If not prescribed)
- Non essential multivitamins including Vitamin E
- Garlic, Gingko, Ginseng, Omega 3/Fish Oils, St. John’s Wort
- Please avoid having any skin resurfacing procedures on your face 2 weeks prior to your injection appointment. i.e. Chemical peels, microneedling, lasers, etc..
We highly recommend arriving at your appointment fully nourished and hydrated.
Please call the clinic to inform us if you have a cold sore. If you have a history of cold sores and are getting treatment of the lips or another area you commonly get a cold sore, talk to your primary health provider prior as a pre-treatment suppressive medication can be prescribed.
Please ensure you are not pregnant or breastfeeding as we will not be able to treat you at this time.
- Please ensure 2 weeks prior to your treatment you have not had any vaccines, dental work (cleaning/scaling included, or have had any illness (including cough, cold, runny nose, etc.).
- Vaccines and dental work should also be avoided 2 weeks post procedure.
As a reminder, bruising is possible. Please plan treatments at least 2 weeks ahead of any important events. If travel is planned, please schedule treatment 5 days prior.
Dermal Filler Post Procedure Guidelines:
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treatment area unless instructed by your injector.
- Apply a cold compress for 10 mins on and off as needed for any mild tenderness, swelling or bruising.
- Avoid applying makeup for 24 hours.
- Avoid pools, whirlpools, saunas or steam rooms for 7 days after your treatment to reduce risk of infection.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours.
- Avoid extensive sun exposure for up to 72 hours.
- Redness, swelling and bruising can sometimes occur with injections and are not considered uncommon. This should improve with each passing day. If you do get a bruise the time to resolution is patient dependent and varies from person to person. Applying Arnica gel or a cold compress may help.